Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
In this section
  • College Life

Is Bradford College on the University campus?

Students at Bradford College are part of the University of Adelaide population; they often study on campus, share the university resources and facilities, and like all other university students can make the most of the university experience with access to the student union, its clubs and societies.

Is the University of Adelaide one of Australia’s leading universities?

Established in 1874, the University of Adelaide is the third oldest university in Australia and one of the most prestigious. It is a member of the Group of Eight – Australia’s leading research-intensive universities; is ranked 81st in the world in 2009 by the influential Times Higher Education Supplement; and is ranked in the top 25 universities in the Asia Pacific region by Shanghai Jiao Tong University Rankings 2007.

What types of programs can I take at Bradford College?

Bradford College offers a range of programs to international students who want to study in Australia.

Programs offered include:

Foundation Studies
Is a one year alternative to Years 11 and 12 allowing successful graduates direct entry into the University of Adelaide (and other prestigious universities nation-wide).

Degree Level Transfer Program
This program allows students an alternative pathway to the second year of degree programs at the University of Adelaide.

English Language Preparation
The Bradford English Language Centre offers a full range of English language preparation programs.

How long do the programs last?

This depends on the program you choose. The table below indicates the length of each program offered by Bradford College.

Program Length
Program Foundation Studies (standard) 40 weeks
Foundation Studies (accelerated) 35 weeks
Degree  Transfer 45 weeks
English Language IELTS 4.5 overall (two bands of 4.0 and one band of 4.5) or equivalent 30 weeks
IELTS 4.5 overall (three bands of 4.5 or higher) or equivalent 25 weeks
IELTS 5.0 overall (one band of 4.0 or 4.5 in two bands) or equivalent 20 weeks
IELTS 5.0 overall (one band of 4.5) or equivalent 15 weeks
IELTS 5.0 overall (all bands 5.0 or above) or equivalent 10 weeks
IELTS 5.5 or equivalent 5 weeks

What subjects are studied in Foundation Studies?

The subjects offered in Foundation Studies at Bradford College are Accounting, Australian Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Computing & Information Systems, Critical Thinking, Design Studies, Economics, English for Academic Purposes, English Language and Literature, Maths Methods, Maths Studies, Physics and Specialist Mathematics. The subjects you will study depend on your chosen degree. Please note that not all subjects may be offered every intake. A full description of each subject is available in the Bradford College brochure and online.

What are the entry requirements for Bradford College programs?

Entry requirements are based on English level and academic qualifications and will vary depending on which program you wish to do. Please follow the links for the specific requirements forFoundation Studies and Degree Transfer programs.

How much do the programs at Bradford College cost?

The cost of studying at Bradford College will depend on which program you will be studying. Fees for each program are stated in the Fee Schedule (PDF)

What is included in the program fees?

All fees for Bradford College programs include all tuition and examination fees as well as access to University facilities such as the library and IT network.

Please note that these fees do not include accommodation, living expenses, stationery or textbooks. A fee may also be charged for IT usage if students exceed their quota.

What pass rates do I require in the Degree Transfer to get to second year at the University of Adelaide?

Bradford College and the University of Adelaide only require a pass in all subjects of the Degree Transfer, not a credit or distinction percentage pass. This is because Degree Transfer students are using the same curriculum and sitting the same exams as the first year students in University of Adelaide degrees. Therefore a pass in every subject will mean credit for the first year of study at the University will be granted.

What will I receive at the end of my program?

At the end of each program students who pass the requirements of the program will receive a certificate stating the details of the program completed. This will be presented at a graduation ceremony for Foundation Studies students. Degree Transfer graduates will also receive credit and direct entry into the second year of the studied Bachelor Degree.

Will I be able to study at university after my program at Bradford College?

Bradford College works every closely with the University of Adelaide and all international students who study at the College will be in the very best position to enter the University. The Degree Transfer is specifically designed for students who just miss out on direct entry to university. The Degree Transfer involves the study of the first year of the relative Bachelor Degree. Therefore, upon successful completion of their program, students will be credited with the first year’s study and enter the University of Adelaide in the second year of the degree.

If I study at Bradford College can I study at another Group of Eight University in Australia?

Bradford College Foundation Studies graduates are accepted at other prestigious Group of Eight universities in Australia, for example the University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney. Bradford College assists students with applications to these institutions.

Bradford College Degree Transfer graduates are also able to apply for credit at other Group of Eight universities across Australia for the first year of their Bachelor Degree under the newly established Credit Transfer Agreement. This agreement formally recognises credit earned and facilities the transfer of these credits between the Group of Eight universities. For further information, please visit

What if the University of Adelaide does not offer the undergraduate degree I wish to study, for example Pharmacy?

Our counsellors will assist you to apply for entry into other suitable universities both within Adelaide and across Australia. The Bradford College Foundation Studies program is recognised throughout Australia as a quality pathway to university.

If I study at the University of Adelaide will my qualification be recognised in my home country?

The University of Adelaide is very well recognised internationally as an institution of quality, academic excellence and prestige.

Are there any other costs involved?

Extra costs include textbooks for the program studied and your other everyday living expenses. There are no school uniforms to be bought so extra thought needs to be given to everyday clothing. Remember to budget for telephone calls which are not covered in any of the accommodation options. Below are the Additional Fees and other student costs you can expect to pay:

Additional Fees:

Enrolment Fee – $275
Library – $440 per annum
Overseas Health Cover – $385 per annum

Other Student Costs
Students should also budget for the following items when considering studying in Adelaide:

– Annual living costs – $12,000 – $14,000
– Books and materials – approximately $500 – $800
– Australian Student Visa charge – payable at time of application for visa
– Accommodation placement fee (if required) – $250
– Homestay accommodation (if required) – $220 per week
– Airport pickup fee (if required) – $125

Please note: all additional fees are subject to change without notice.

What is the time difference in Adelaide?

Clocks are advanced in Adelaide at 2 am by 1 hour on start day of daylight savings to become Summer Time. Clocks are wound back at 3am by 1 hour at end day of daylight savings to become Standard Time.

Country Time in Adelaide Country Time in Adelaide
Argentina + 12.5 hours Austria + 8.5 hours
Belgium + 8.5 hours Brazil + 12.5 – 14.5 hours
Brunei + 1.5 hours Canada + 13.5 – 17.5 hours
China + 1.5 hours Denmark + 8.5 hours
Finland + 7.5 hours France + 8.5 hours
Germany + 8.5 hours Hong Kong + 1.5 hours
India + 4 hours Indonesia + 0.5 – 2.5 hours
Ireland + 9.5 hours Italy + 8.5 hours
Japan + 0.5 hours Korea (South) + 0.5 hours
Malaysia + 1.5 hours Mexico + 15.5 – 17.5 hours
Monaco + 8.5 hours Netherlands + 8.5 hours
New Zealand – 2.5 hours Norway + 8.5 hours
Singapore + 1.5 hours South Africa + 7.5 hours
Sweden + 8.5 hours Switzerland + 8.5 hours
Thailand + 2.5 hours United Arab Emirates + 5.5 hours
United Kingdom + 9.5 hours USA + 14.5 – 20.5 hours

Will I be able to work in a job in Australia?

The Australian Government allows international students to work up to 20 hours a week as long as they are still studying full-time.

However, Bradford College suggests students work no more than 8 hours a week due to the workload students already have with full-time study.

All student visas issued from April 26, 2008 will automatically come with permission to work attached. Students will no longer need to apply for permission to work when they enrol. Students who have a visa that was issued prior to April 26, 2008 will still need to apply for permission to work if they have not already done so.

What is the cost of living in Adelaide compared to other Australian cities?

A recent survey revealed that Adelaide is the cheapest Australian city for foreign students to live. The figures are based on the comparative cost of over 200 items in each city, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. The survey shows that it costs international students 26 per cent more to live in Sydney, 13 per cent more in Melbourne and 7 per cent more in Perth.


Statistics from the Mercer Human Resource Worldwide Cost of living survey released in June 2009.

What are the success rates for Bradford Students entering into University?

The current success rate for students transferring into second year of university from the Degree Transfer program is 88%. The current success rate for our Foundation Studies program – 70% of students receive an offer from a university.

Where will I stay and live?

There are several options for housing in Adelaide and the Bradford College Accommodation Manager can help you work out which accommodation will suit you best.
Your choice consists of:

– Homestay
– Student Hostels
– University Accommodation
– Independent Rental & Share House Accommodation.

For more information please visit the accommodation page.

What special care provisions are in place for students of Bradford College who are under 18 years of age?

Many Students studying at Bradford College are under the age of 18, and the College acts as these students official care-givers. Bradford College takes special care and interest in the welfare of under 18’s and as such we have a special policy to ensure their wellbeing. Our under 18 Student management plan includes:

– Meeting with under 18 students on a fortnightly basis and reporting back to the   College Principal and parents after these meetings.
– Keeping a close eye on attendance/academic performance of these students.
– Closely monitoring the accommodation situation of each student.
– Visiting/contacting each homestay/hostel with students under the age of 18   regularly to ensure that the accommodation is suitable.

Students who are under the age of 18 who organise their own accommodation must comply with the following rules:

1. The person they will be living with MUST be over the age of 21 and they will need to show proof of age to Bradford College.
2. Both Immigration and Bradford College do not approve students to live with other students who are over 21. We require it to be a blood relative – mother, father, brother or sister (ONLY if they are over 21).
3. Aunties, uncles, cousins or family friends have to be registered as a homestay and also meet all the below requirements.

Bradford College will visit all under 18 student’s accommodation to:

a. Determine that the living conditions are of an acceptable standard;
b. Assess whether the designated caregiver will provide a safe physical and emotional environment for the student;
c. Determine that the accommodation is not a boarding establishment;
d. Meet the designated caregiver and establish communication with the caregiver;
e. Ensure that we hold at all times personal contact information for all residential caregivers.

How will I be looked after at Bradford College?

At Bradford College, we pride ourselves on the high level of support and service we offer to our students. We have dedicated student services staff who closely monitor student welfare, attendance, accommodation and orientation for students.

We also employ full-time Academic Counsellors to closely monitor your academic performance and assist you with any issue related to managing your study and workload. The Academic Counsellors will also help you find out more about the pathway to your chosen career and help you with applications for universities nation-wide.

Studying in another country is a challenging but rewarding experience and we aim to make all students at Bradford College feel as comfortable as possible and help you achieve your best.

Over the years, Bradford College has helped thousands of students settle in to living and learning in Adelaide, so all our students are in safe and experienced hands in a supportive environment.

What happens if I am having trouble keeping up with my studies?

Our experience tells us that many students need help with their studies throughout the year. Our Study Support Program is designed to assist you with any problems you may have with your studies.

The Support Program consists of:

1. Study Skills Staff
Study Skills Staff are available to help you with the following:
– Writing and editing your assignments
– Understanding assignment questions
– Time management and other study skills
– General English language assistance
– Motivation and commitment to study
– General student support if you have any other problems.

2. Tutors
Tutors are available to help you on a one-to-one basis in specific academic areas. E.g. if you are not able to understand your subjects and are having problems keeping up with the work then you should see your teacher first. Your teacher may then refer you to a College tutor who will help you with specific academic problems. If you need ongoing tutoring in a specific subject then you may need to pay for a series of tutorials. This service is called Bradford Academic.

3. Professional Counsellor
A professional counsellor is available to help with personal problems which are more serious, such as depression, severe homesickness and relationship problems. Contact the Student Welfare Manager and they can organise an appointment for you to speak with a counsellor if you feel you require one.

If we haven’t answered your question here, please email us.